Gynecomastia is a condition that causes abnormal growth of the male breasts. It can be caused by various causes, including heredity, an unhealthy lifestyle, and hormonal imbalances. For many men, gynecomastia can be socially distressing and embarrassing. Men avoid exposing their bodies and removing their clothes because of their increased breast size, particularly during physical workouts or swimming.
In such cases, consulting an experienced professional and being aware of your treatment options can assist you in overcoming gynecomastia. Male breast reduction surgery or gynecomastia surgery is a common technique that quickly reduces abnormal breast size by removing extra tissues from the breast.
Dr. Shalu specialises in the treatment and provides the most effective male breast reduction surgery in Delhi.
So what exactly is gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia, or “man boobs,” is a disorder that affects men of all ages. According to the National Institute of Health, around 60% of adolescent males and more than 65% of men aged 27 to 90 are at risk of having gynecomastia at some time in their life.
Compared to women, typical men have significantly less glandular tissue and fat deposits in the breast, giving the appearance of a flat chest. However, in the case of gynecomastia, there is an increase in glandular and fatty tissues in the breast, resulting in greater volume.
To make the classification of gynecomastia easier, the doctors generally divide it into three different grades depending upon how severe the condition is.
- Grade 1: This generally occurs when the hypertrophy of the breast is minimal. It is very little to no extra skin present. It is the earliest phase.
- Grade 2a is the mild to moderate enlargement in the breast tissue and skin around the breast.
- Grade 2b: Grade 2b is associated with moderate to mild enlargement of the breast tissues that can be excessive skin surrounding it.
- Grade 3: This is when there is excessive hypertrophy of the breast and extra skin. The breast can appear sagging and drooping.
What are the leading causes of Gynecomastia?
Several underlying diseases and imbalances can contribute to gynecomastia. The following are the most prevalent causes:
- Hormonal imbalances: Normally, a proper balance of oestrogen and testosterone is essential in the male body. One of the most prevalent causes of gynecomastia is an imbalance between male and female hormones. An increase in oestrogen levels in males might result in breast development and induce gynecomastia.
- Improper diet: Eating unhealthy foods high in fatty compounds can contribute to excessive fat deposition and obesity in males. Obesity has also been linked to hormonal abnormalities and increased oestrogen production.
- Medication: Certain medications can affect the body adversely and produce gynecomastia as a side effect. Excessive steroid use can also result in gynecomastia, as observed in bodybuilders.
- Reduced testosterone level due to another condition: Conditions that might disturb the average testosterone level in the male body are another cause of the development of gynecomastia.
Gynecomastia surgery enables men to live with their bodies more easily and confidently. As enlarged breasts are a source of continuous social embarrassment, the problem must be addressed and treated on time.
What are the treatments available for gynecomastia?
It is critical to identify the underlying causes of the problem to understand the disease and design a treatment plan correctly.
- The doctor begins the treatment with a thorough examination and evaluation. This can involve blood tests which can aid in determining the underlying problems.
The following are some of the most prevalent treatments:
- If an adverse effect of the medicine causes gynecomastia, discontinuing the medications can help restore the hormonal balance
- Cosmetic surgeons qualified to treat gynecomastia can also prescribe medications to treat hormonal imbalance
Gynecomastia surgery, often known as male breast reduction surgery, is one of the most common treatments for gynecomastia, a condition characterised by extra skin and glandular tissue.
It is completed in the following steps:
- Anaesthesia: the procedure involves sedating the patient. The sedation allows the patient to go through the procedure with little to no pain.
- There are two primary techniques for reducing excess fat and skin from the chest area.
- Liposuction: Liposuction is a procedure that involves sucking extra fatty tissue from the body using a thin tube. A tiny incision around the breast region is made, and a thin tube is introduced into the body. The extra fat is then sucked out.
- Gland excision technique: A gland excision technique is generally used in cases where more glandular tissue and skin are present around the breast. This entails removing excess glandular tissue and sagging skin and contouring the breast to give a flat chest look. Men with overly large and sagging breasts have generally been prescribed this technique.
Most doctors use both these techniques to provide the most satisfactory outcome to their patients.
What precautions should be taken after the surgery?
Patients may experience minor bruising and swelling around the breast area immediately following surgery, which is normal. There may also be some pain and discomfort when the anaesthetic effects wear off.
For a short period, the chest area may also feel numb.
The patient should take precautions following gynecomastia surgery for a quick recovery:
- It is critical to rest entirely and not fatigue yourself.
- Following up with a doctor regularly post-surgery is essential.
- It is usually recommended to use the compression garment regularly. The compression garment can assist in keeping the breast shape after surgery.
- Avoid any strenuous workouts 6 week following surgery.
- It is essential to maintain adequate hygiene.
- Eating healthy meals and getting enough nourishment will help the body heal properly.
- After the procedure, a person can return to their everyday routine very next day
What is the cost associated with gynecomastia surgery in Delhi?
The following factors influence the cost of gynecomastia surgery:
- Consultation fee
- The facility and the services offered by the clinic
- Skill and expertise of the surgeon
- The treatment is chosen during surgery. Liposuction and tissue excision techniques have variable costs.
Why choose Dr. Shalu?
Dr. Shalu is a well-known cosmetic surgeon who specialises in treating disorders such as gynecomastia. She emphasises that accurately diagnosing the condition is the first step in developing a personalised plan for her patients. Dr. Shalu Clinic is outfitted with cutting-edge technology, modern infrastructure, and amenities. With a highly trained staff of skilled professionals, you can get the best gynecomastia surgery in Delhi.
Consult Dr. Shalu to live a more confident life.
Some of the risks connected with gynecomastia surgery are listed below:
- This procedure may result in the production of blood clots.
- There may be minor irregularities between the breasts.
- Sometimes fluid accumulation known as seroma.
- Infection on the surgical site
- Sensory loss
Both treatments are beneficial when it comes to the treatment of gynecomastia. The approach chosen is entirely dependent on the patient’s health and requirements.